Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Lesson's end

.

“What a gloomy day it is! Jack how are you?”

The start of a potential commercial that ends, with…
“- The sinus cold calls for Dristan.
-Yes!
- DRISTANNNN!”

I guess this is one of many memories that I hold dear, after my period of study at Recording Arts of Canada. It has been indeed some must interesting couple of months, with a bit of a workload in order to mimic a real life working scenario.
I had a chance to learn many new things, academically and humanly.
Alas, it is finally however. School, with its 7 hours of routine work, divide into 3 and half periods, closed with the same group of people (less than a dozen), while listening some rumbling about acoustics, recording techniques, post-production, audio consoles, or anything else that might fall in an audio category.
For better or for worse, the memory of those fine days is imprinted in my chain of recollections, through time I learned about those people, who six months ago were strangers and now they are friends whose absence is dearly noted in my everyday life.
I guess, I have always been the sentimental one. Of all of them, I was probably the last one to feel joy for the end of the school period. Because, I was aware, from past experiences, that the end of the chapter brings the beginning of a time gap of encounters. Thanks to the technology that all of us have at end, the gap is only translated in physical terms. At any moment, we are allowed to tap a few wards in a keyboard and patiently wait for a friendly response.

One of the most memorable moments in school, was probably the recreation of a Predator scene, using only voice…
“come on, run to the chopper” – I guess you just had to be there to adequately feel the nature of the moment.

Yes. From stranger to friend. What an interest concept to learn, in just 6 months, probably even less, if we give anybody a chance to speak out their mind, to share their views on life. I will not agree necessarily in everything that people might say, but I will grant them their opportunity to state their case.

Friendship, a chain of encounters between strangers that allows the development of a bonding relationship that replaces the concept of strange to known and cared for.
I guess, I have learned the meaning of happiness, in many of the encounters I have been having throughout my life.
I guess, that during this year, with school, with friends, with opportunities to explore my creativity, with love, with sky diving, with canoe camping, with sliding among the trees, with keeping my wits in place, I have realized that in some simplistic way, the meaning of life is made up of encounters and reencounters in the bumpy road of life.
Enjoying the company of former strangers, I can know feel that my field of friends has increased in diversity and quality.

Life is enjoyable. I guess I will bring home that lesson in few weeks!

Listening - to a final mix
Reading - Opium

cocasman@zmail.pt

No comments: