Sunday, November 16, 2003

Storms

What is about Storms that I find so lovely?
Twisters and tornadoes always have fascinated me ever since I was a small boy. Today, there is a storm lurking around Lisbon, and I still get the same chills as before.
I must say, there is something terribly romantic about storms, about being in the safety of one's home and feeling that here is safe and out there is being changed.
Maybe I am not the only one who thinks this way.
For instance in the movie Taxi driver, the main character says:"May 10th. Thank god for the rain, she's helped wash way the garbage and the trash from the sidewalks."
Indeed, storms are a cleaning process, a fantastic way of the Earth to purge itself, the outcome might not be pretty, but in the end the planet feels quite relieved.
My favourite season has always been the Fall, due to it's goldish colours laying about the forests, the sad rain, and the powerful thunderstorms that come with it. I feel refreshed with all the energy that comes out of a storm, the heat from the land, the smell from the earth.
I can't say much about the negative side of the storms, after all they never affected me that much, instead they inspired me to dream in the coziness of my own home.
I must be somewhat crazy to enjoy them, but I love driving in the rain, once again the feeling of overcoming the danger that lies on the road is thrilling.
Lastly, I like walking on the rain itself, and feeling the wind blowing on my face, stealing my tears away, leaving me covered by every angle with all it's might.
Storms are great. Today, in Lisbon there is a storm, I must be the only one that finds that great.
Maybe one day, I won't find it so great, I just hope that won't be too late.

No comments: